A major line of contact between Russia and the European Union is the 1, 324 kilometer long border between eastern Finland and Russia. Security for this border, along with the remaining land borders and territorial waters of Finland, together with customs and passport control, all fall within the responsibility of the Finnish Border Guard. Their job is not merely geographically challenging, it is really complex. But these responsibilities have been addressed in classic Finnish fashion with a tremendously effective and sophisticated technical surveillance system suitable for the demanding physical conditions and distances of the Finnish border. This is such an important and well accomplished responsibility that it really has many best of class components and design element from which the U.S. border operations could benefit.
Follow me on Twitter
Add new tag Ambassador Bruce J. Oreck Architecture art in Finland Berklee College of Music Cleantech Finland Climate climate change COP15 Copenhagen Culture Deckard energy efficiency Extreme Ice Survey Finnish Meteorological Institute Generation Y Helsinki Helsinki Electric Motor Show James Balog Jyväskylä Keskisuomalainen Oyj making climate change personal Meteorology Moventas music in Finland Oulu pets Renewable energy Science Scratch Ambassadors Tour The Marine Ball Thunderbirds Turku International Airshow U.S. Air Forces Utö YLEX Young Leaders Åland
- Elisabeth Nauclér on It’s a Dog’s Life
- In Finland, our ambassador brings the muscle - US Political Newswire | US Political Newswire on Flying with the Finnish Air Force
- Linza on Enjoying Two Finnish Treasures at One Time
- Peter Lilienthal on Åland’s Visionary Hero and His Windmills
- Marja Lampi on Keski-Suomen Ilmailumuseo (Central Finnish Aviation Museum)